“It’s because mine are better!”
The Terrys own Sweeties Southern & Vegan Catering, which just last month began officially working out of the kitchen at Chatham Marketplace in Pittsboro. Stephanie started cooking and catering full-time in 2014. Michael is culinary-trained, working in kitchens through college as he slowly wrapped up his studies as a geography major, where, he says, “the more I learned, the more I became intrigued with the food [from other parts of the world].” The couple married a year ago, and dove into business together.
In October, Stephanie spoke on a soul food panel at Terra Vita Food and Wine Festival in Chapel Hill. She was joined by father-son pitmasters Ed and Ryan Mitchell, who eloquently explained the value of good pork and the joy and precision of cooking with fire. Stephanie admitted she doesn’t eat pork anymore, but stood firm that her food—especially the vegan offerings—is rooted in the Southern traditions.
Other articles you might like;
- How to Get More Fiber in Your Diet: Health Benefits of Psyllium Husk
- Plant of the week: Derivatives in weight loss products and used to fight viruses
- My Experience Will Help You Understand America’s Mental Health Crisis
- Charcoal is heating up the beauty industry.
- Sweeties Consciously Connects Southern, Vegan, And Soul Food | Food Feature