SINGAPORE: Singaporeans are enjoying the sweet life a little too much.
The average person here consumes more than 1,500 teaspoons of sugar from sugar-sweetened beverages (SSB) every year, according to the Ministry of Health (MOH). SSBs include soft drinks, juices, coffees and teas.
That’s about four teaspoons a day, which doesn’t seem like much until you consider that the World Health Organization’s recommended sugar intake for adults is six teaspoons, or 25g, a day.
Those four teaspoons may be just from SSBs but they already make up 60 per cent of our total sugar intake. The remaining 40 per cent comes from sugar found in foods such as cakes, desserts, chocolates and sweets, according to MOH. When combined, the total sugar intake can exceed the WHO limit.
Other articles you might like;
- How to Get More Fiber in Your Diet: Health Benefits of Psyllium Husk
- Plant of the week: Derivatives in weight loss products and used to fight viruses
- My Experience Will Help You Understand America’s Mental Health Crisis
- Charcoal is heating up the beauty industry.
- Sweeties Consciously Connects Southern, Vegan, And Soul Food | Food Feature