Ben Rue has always loved music, and when he was diagnosed with the life-changing disease at age 14, he refused to let it keep him off the stage.
The American Diabetes Association estimates 193,000 people in America under 20 years old have diabetes, more than one million people in America have Type 1, and as of 2015, more than 84 million adults have prediabetes.
“My mom’s a nurse and brings home little things to test on her kids for fun and she brought home a blood sugar kit one day and tested it on her boys,” said Rue. “My brothers were normal 80-110 and mine was 555 and that was kind of the first start of me as a Type 1 diabetic.”
Other articles you might like;
- How to Get More Fiber in Your Diet: Health Benefits of Psyllium Husk
- Plant of the week: Derivatives in weight loss products and used to fight viruses
- My Experience Will Help You Understand America’s Mental Health Crisis
- Charcoal is heating up the beauty industry.
- Sweeties Consciously Connects Southern, Vegan, And Soul Food | Food Feature