CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Nov. 13, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:AKCA), an affiliate of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:IONS), focused on developing and commercializing drugs to treat patients with serious cardiometabolic diseases caused by lipid disorders, today announced the initiation of an exploratory Phase 2 program of AKCEA-ANGPTL3-LRx in patients with rare hyperlipidemias.
AKCEA-ANGPTL3-LRx is designed to reduce the production of angiopoietin-like 3, or ANGPTL3. The absence of ANGPTL3 has been shown to be cardioprotective and associated with reduced risk of insulin resistance and diabetes mellitus.
The AKCEA-ANGPTL3-LRx Phase 2 program is designed to include three clinical studies in patients with one of three rare hyperlipidemias, including familial chylomicronemia syndrome (FCS), familial partial lipodystrophy (FPL), and homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HoFH). The objectives of these studies are to determine the pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, safety and tolerability of AKCEA-ANGPTL3-LRx, and to further characterize the drug’s potential in these patient populations.
Other articles you might like;
- How to Get More Fiber in Your Diet: Health Benefits of Psyllium Husk
- Plant of the week: Derivatives in weight loss products and used to fight viruses
- My Experience Will Help You Understand America’s Mental Health Crisis
- Charcoal is heating up the beauty industry.
- Sweeties Consciously Connects Southern, Vegan, And Soul Food | Food Feature